[PSUBS-MAILIST] Commercial question

swaters via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu May 15 16:20:35 EDT 2014

Douglas,
I deffenetly understand the analogy and feeling. To the commercial market their number one concern is money. Make the most money and reduce as much loss as possible. Commercial companies don't care about the feeling. I am just wondering what makes a commercial company choose a sub over a rov?
Thanks,
Scott Waters

Sent from my U.S. Cellular© Smartphone"Sean T. Stevenson via Personal_Submersibles" <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:I could think of a few advantages to untethered operation:

1) complete decoupling from surface motions, which is achievable with a ROV if you use a deployment cage and neutral secondary cable, but then weight and cost go up
2) if not using a cage, a large portion of the propulsive power is wasted just dragging the umbilical through the water
3) tethered operation requires keeping a turn count, which must be incremented or decremented according to whether the cable is above or below the vehicle
4) situational awareness. Even the best ROV fields of view leave blind spots, or at best require interpreting multiple camera angles, whereas a sub permits its operator to seamlessly shift his attention and field of view in an intuitive manner. Similarly, unless using stereoscopic cameras, ROV images are 2D. A sub operator has depth perception.

Sean