[PSUBS-MAILIST] Commercial question

swaters via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu May 15 19:06:00 EDT 2014

Phil,
That really clears it up alot. I know business has been good for you based on how busy you have been. That is awesome. I know all of us business owners strive to remain relevant and it seems you have done well. I face the struggle every day in a shrinking market place due to the big box stores. We have seemed to carve out our niche and have really started to grow alot, but it is a deffenet fight tooth and nail. I buy alot of inventory from a company in Calgary and they have been wanting me to visit there factory for years. Iam going to figure out how I can make a Canada trip and visit you and write it off as a business expense :)
Thank you,
Scott Waters

Sent from my U.S. Cellular© SmartphonePhil Nuytten via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:Hi, Scott,
The major reason that quite a few operators prefer subs over ROV’s is the absence of a surface  tether. This allows you to go places that you shouldn’t and wouldn’t go with a machine because the risk of entanglement – inside platform legs, pile jackets, etc., There are a number of other reasons that have to do with the operators senses being right on the site rather than a half a mile away. Difficult to explain is the ‘whole grasp’ scenario that ROV operators who try manned subs almost always mention. Simply put, in a sub with a wide view port or a 360 degree dome,  you have a strong sense of where  everything is – how long ago you passed that pipeline, what direction it’s in to go back to, the lay of the bottom,  the trending of the currents, where to find lees to hide in, how to avoid ‘box canyon’ current pins, the ability to hit ‘auto altitude’ and fly a fixed height above a pipeline or cable regardless of the bottom (and therefore the cable’s) undulations. When it comes to doing complex work using manips, there’s no contest man versus machines. Machines do  get the work done if they are set up properly, but much slower and with many tries, compared to the pilot whose hand on the joystick is five feet away from the work .
You often hear ROV types say ‘well, it’s just the same as being there”. . .  Yeah, right! just like telephone sex is the same as the real thing!
I’ll get off my soapbox now.
Phil