[PSUBS-MAILIST] Snoopy dive report

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu May 22 08:41:01 EDT 2014

Not much to say about them really... the lights perfectly well, stood up to
bangs against the dock, and didn't leak any oil. They are very ruggedly
built, I highly recommend them. The brand is "Buyers" and the item number
is 1492128.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Electrical/Lights/DC-Mobile-Equipment-Lights/12-24-VDC-3120-LUMEN-16-LED-UTILITY-FLOOD-LIGHT-12-999-B.axd

Here are instructions for adapting to sub use:

If you look at the back of the light, there is a large circular pattern in
the light body. The cable goes in just to the right of that circle, but
just to the left of the circle you will see a smaller circle about 1/4" in
diameter. Look carefully and you'll find the small circle is filled with
black silicone that blends into the body of the light. Scoop out that
sealant, and you'll find the head of a small screw. Careful, the screw is
small and very tight, so make sure you have a screw driver that fits it
well, you will need to torque it considerably to unstick. The screw appears
to have no function, it does not secure or connect anything. However, if
you remove it, you will have a hole you can use for filling with oil. The
hole is tiny, so you will need something like a syringe with a dispensing
needle. I used McMaster part # 75165A672 and filled with mineral oil. It is
an exercise in patience to chase out all the air, turning the light in all
directions and squeezing the front lens, but after about an hour I got it
to where no more bubbles appeared when the lens was topmost. Once filled
with oil, I put the screw back in and covered it with silicone sealant.
Apart from filling with oil, all I did was put some epoxy glue around the
entry point of the cable. I did two lights, one with mineral oil and the
other with mineral oil plus a small quantity of Marvel Mystery Oil. That
means one light is crystal clear, the other has a slight red tinge (Marvel
is red). I was just attempting to enrich the reds a bit, but I'd say I was
splitting hairs.

Two of these seems to me a sufficient amount of light for the bow of the
sub. It I had a K350 with the side viewports, I would consider two more.

Best,

Alec

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 7:57 AM, Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles <