[PSUBS-MAILIST] Manipulator arm

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed May 28 22:22:50 EDT 2014

Hi Scott,
If you Google "arm 5 E manipulator" you will come across a pdf on
an electric underwater manipulator. I saw one demonstrated at UI.
It didn't respond to a command & took a chunk out of its bench.
I think the shallow depth models don't have oil compensation,
but the deeper ones do. Cliff can tell you about the pitfalls of oil
compensating those little motors.
They probably are compensating the whole actuactor which means
that as the piston retracts the oil in the body is displaced & has to
move out in to a compensating device. I think I heard they maintain
an internal pressure of 4psi above ambient.
So a lot of mucking about.
Below is a site link with a number of hydraulic manipulators & attached diagrams,
which may give you a bit of visual information on how they are put together.
There are also robot arm calculators you can use that start with the weight you

want to lift & calculate the power needed at each link.
Regards Alan

Hydro-Lek Remote Handling - Hydraulic Manipulators

   Hydro-Lek Remote Handling - Hydraulic Manipulators
Hydro-Lek is a leading supplier of remote intervention systems for the subsea, nuclear and defence industries.
View on www.hydro-lek.com Preview by Yahoo