[PSUBS-MAILIST] Manipulator arm

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu May 29 08:20:44 EDT 2014

Scott,
No matter how you do it, a manipulator will cost some of money.  I have made many and the tendency seems to be, to try and make them strong to lift a lot.  Well first off, I think it was Vance that said it best.  A manipulator is for manipulating not lifting.  With that in mind, large components are not needed.  Simple air cylinders from ebay are  all that is needed.  A 2in bore and depending on manip design, 4in stroke, maybe as much as 6in stroke is all you need.  Keep the rod size small at 5/8, that reduces the back pressure.  I have said it before, I love convertible top pumps.  Consider using one pump per function again purchase from ebay for 125 bucks.  No need for valves, the pump simply runs in reverse to change direction of the piston. Keep the pumps inside the sub and it is real simple.  As for the arm itself, if have made them from cardboard first.  You can mock it up that way and find the best pin locations for the cylinders and ensure the
 cylinders stroke properly without over centering. You can build the arm with square tubing, use 3 inch aluminum so the cylinders fit inside when the arm is folded up.  Forget about a wrist until you have lots of time to play around.  Four functions will serve a psubber well and can be built for under 1,000 dollars. I can send you a convertible top pump to play with if you like.