[PSUBS-MAILIST] Manipulator arm

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu May 29 17:24:45 EDT 2014

Hi Hugh,
The convertible top pumps are about the same size as a wind shield wiper motor.  They are quite small actually.  I would say the motor is about 2.5in dia and 6in tall.  They develop 1,000 psi, at least the one I tested did.  I have only used GM pumps, but I am sure they are all the same more less. Also I have had good success with a common snow plow hyd pump.  You will need a hyd valve bank if you use the snow plow pump.  The beauty of a top pump is that you do not need a valve bank. Gamma has an aircraft pump that according to the maintenance records works best at 1,100 psi when at max depth of 1,000 feet.
That means you only need about 650psi above bottom for the arm to work.  I have the pressure set at 500 psi for shop testing and it seems good already at that pressure.