[PSUBS-MAILIST] Forward scanners

Wed Oct 8 06:45:14 EDT 2014

What you probably want is a sector scan sonar. This employs a horizontal beam that sweeps 360° around the boat, giving you the best situational awareness, and is easy to interpret. This would be in conjunction with a single transducer altitude indicator.

If you actually wanted to automate navigation, then a DVL (Doppler velocity log) is probably in order. This is a four beam system which gives you differential movement, but the last time I checked was $15 K or so.

I might look at a unit like this:

http://www.imagenex.com/html/881l-gs.html

Sean