[PSUBS-MAILIST] Brushless Thrusters

via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Sep 7 18:49:13 EDT 2014

Hank,

Harbor Branch used o-rings on the reduced output 1 1/4 thrusters on the JSLs. The mid-body on the hard can (actually the back 25% or so of the cylinder section) was machined on the output side for planetary gears, and machined on the motor side to replace the entire output plate/bearing case for the motor itself (like a golf cart motor bolts into a differential). Pretty nice and compact for the day.

The rear section of the hard can behind the gear case is a hollow sand casting shaped like the long end of an egg, webbed internally to support a 1" shaft, double bearings, with double thrust bearings, and a tapered, polished, hardened aluminum sleeve pressed in from the pressure side.

The shaft itself was machined to carry double o-rings in square cross section grooves and terminated on the internal end with a flex-coupling which mated (obviously) to the output of the planetary output. A big shaft was necessary to keep the jitters down to more or less zero. Everything needs to stay exactly centered, as the O-rings will go to pot a whole lot faster if there is any flex or vibration at all in that prop shaft shaft.

Lots of development to get it right, finally, but the props turned about 275-300 rpm (I don't remember exactly, but something like that). 14" X 14" Kort style prop in a machined syntactic foam nozzle supported on a 4-legged frame welded to the aft part of the shell. I actually have a blueprint of it, somewhere around here. For those interested, the tip clearance between blade end and nozzle sleeve was about 50-thousandths. NOTE: That would be of an inch, Emile.

There were no speed controls on the boats. Fwd-Off-Rev only. You just turned thrusters on or off to vary the push. When I was there, we had 5 for forward and reverse (3 in a row on the centerline with 1 each to port and starboard aft) plus a vertical and horizontal pair forward and aft for steering and fine maneuvering (fine maneuvering my ass!!!). That's right. NINE thrusters that probably with cabling weighed over half a ton. Plus two or three spares in the kit ready to bolt up at a moment's notice as replacements. We were definitely in the motor business with those babies.

They were home grown but worked reasonably well, although they were a little noisy with the gear case and whatnot. That said, I never saw the electrical side flooded on one of those things. Not once. Ever. We had a routine service schedule and changed a thruster every so many hours of service. Just put a fresh one on (two people could do a change-out in about three minutes), then tear the to-be-serviced unit down to check brushes and bearing lube and change the shaft o-rings (which would be looking a little fuzzy by then, but still worked fine--and even if they looked brand new, we changed them). It needs a really, really first rate waterproof lubricant, as the internal shaft o-ring runs hotter than the one in contact with the water, and was often in worse shape than the one primary as a result.

Once the JSLs re-certified to 3000 feet, engineering redesigned the seals for better service, using a ceramic cartridge seal in place of the o-rings, but that was after my day. I'd hate to even think what one would cost today, built commercially. You wouldn't use them, probably, as a unit with twice that power is probably a third the size and weight.

Those thrusters on the Tritons, for instance, look positively tiny by comparison, and they're rated at over 2 hp. Then there's our own Uncle Dr. Phil's new mag coupled ones. Now there's a Christmas present to ask Santa for.

All that aside, the o-rings will work if you plan regular service (ie, scheduled o-ring replacement) and don't wait for water intrusion. They have to be done right during construction, though. Those surfaces have to be mirror smooth.

Vance