[PSUBS-MAILIST] gamma upgrades

via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Sep 12 20:23:03 EDT 2014

Agreed. The best I've seen for this kind of thing is Spectra 12 from Novabraid--a hollow braided 12 strand rope with breaking strengths comparable to wire rope. The 1/8" diameter rope, for instance, has a breaking strength of 1800 pounds. Anyone who checked the JSL emergency buoy reel will have seen about a half mile of that stuff on a spool between the pilot's sphere and the diving compartment. It is seriously strong, easy to handle, and resistant to virtually everything, apparently (sun, salt water, heat, and so on). Great stuff.
Vance