[PSUBS-MAILIST] annealing

Brian Cox via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Sep 15 21:51:44 EDT 2014

It would not be a very impressive picture.  An old electric oven I got out of a oven junk yard.  I did actually get the controller and thermostat but I'm just doing it manually this time around.  I did however purchase 4 digital temperature sensors that I've placed at various locations, one in an identical acrylic disk like the ones I'm annealing, one in the middle, one at the top and one in another block of acrylic.  I'm able to control the temperature extremely well, earlier I calibrated the oven with my heat source.  Rather than rely on an on off thermostat controlling an electric heating element, what I'm doing is running a heating element controlled by a rheostat ( one of the top burners).  That way the burner is always on, but delivering a specific amount of heat depending on how high I turn the rheostat up or down.  So what happens is the oven loses heat at a fairly constant rate, wherever I set the dial the oven will stay at that temperature.  As long as there is no radical fluctuation of the room temperature the oven temp will be very even, so far it's worked out really well.

The book has a number of different scenarios and recommendations for times and temperatures.  The main thing is the hold temps and a very gradual ramping.

Brian