[PSUBS-MAILIST] annealing

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Sep 15 23:18:29 EDT 2014

Brian,
All I can say is , VERY COOL!  You should send me one and I will test it for you.
On Mon, 9/15/14, Brian Cox via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] annealing
 To: "Personal Submersibles General Discussion" <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>

 It would not be a very impressive
 picture.  An old electric oven I got out of a oven junk
 yard.  I did actually get the controller and thermostat
 but I'm just doing it manually this time around.  I did
 however purchase 4 digital temperature sensors that I've
 placed at various locations, one in an identical acrylic
 disk like the ones I'm annealing, one in the middle, one at
 the top and one in another block of acrylic.  I'm able
 to control the temperature extremely well, earlier I
 calibrated the oven with my heat source.  Rather than
 rely on an on off thermostat controlling an electric heating
 element, what I'm doing is running a heating element
 controlled by a rheostat ( one of the top burners).
 That way the burner is always on, but delivering a specific
 amount of heat depending on how high I turn the rheostat up
 or down.  So what happens is the oven loses heat at a
 fairly constant rate, wherever I set the dial the oven will
 stay at that temperature.  As long as there is no !
  radical fluctuation of the room temperature the oven temp
 will be very even, so far it's worked out really well.

 The book has a number of different scenarios and
 recommendations for times and temperatures.  The main
 thing is the hold temps and a very gradual ramping.

 Brian

 --- personal_submersibles at psubs.org