[PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure change indicator?

Lasse Schmidt via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Sep 21 02:18:51 EDT 2014

Cliff this was very helpful, thank you.

Lasse Schmidt
Upplevelseakuten
Skeppsbron 21, Tullhus 1
11130 Stockholm

19 sep 2014 kl. 15:00 skrev "Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles" <personal_submersibles at psubs.org<mailto:personal_submersibles at psubs.org>>:

Lasse,
It would be very straight forward to build your own depth measuring and display system that could also tell you if your are going up or downs.  The parts would be a simple PLC with at least one analog input channel, a 0-10 vdc pressure transmitter to measure ambient water pressure and inexpensive display.  Ladder logic would be easy to right as all you are doing calculating depth as a function of pressure and density.  Again simple calculation in PLC to determine if you are ascending or decending based on pressure change i.e, if ambient pressure is increasing, you are descending and descreaing, you are ascending.

 1.
Cheap PLC ($129) http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Programmable_Controllers/CLICK_Series_PLCs_(Stackable_Micro_Brick)/PLC_Units/C0-02DD2-D
 2.
Cheap pressure transmitter ($125) http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Sensors_-z-_Encoders/Pressure_Sensors/Pressure_Transmitters/Ceramic_Sensing_Element_-_M12_Cable_Connection/PTD25-10-0200H
 3.
Cheap display ($161) http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Operator_Interfaces/C-more_Micro-Graphic_Panels/3_inch_Panels_-a-_Accessories/EA1-S3ML-N
 4.
Cheap software ($0) to program the PLC http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Programmable_Controllers/CLICK_Series_PLCs_(Stackable_Micro_Brick)/PLC_Units/C0-00DR-D

and Display http://support.automationdirect.com/products/cmoremicro.html

 5.
Total cost $415

 6.
Of course if you already had a PLC for boat systems, then all you would need is pressure transmitter and a bit of ladder logic programming.
 7.
Finally, you can always go old school install a manual depth gage http://www.weksler-gauges.com/pdf/p22.pdf

Cliff