[PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure change indicator?

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Sep 19 08:57:02 EDT 2014

Lasse,
It would be very straight forward to build your own depth
measuring and display system that could also tell you if your are going up or
downs.  The parts would be a simple PLC
with at least one analog input channel, a 0-10 vdc pressure transmitter to measure ambient water pressure and
inexpensive display.  Ladder logic would
be easy to right as all you are doing calculating depth as a function of
pressure and density.  Again simple
calculation in PLC to determine if you are ascending or decending based on pressure
change i.e, if ambient pressure is increasing, you are descending and
descreaing, you are ascending.
	1. Cheap PLC ($129) http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Programmable_Controllers/CLICK_Series_PLCs_(Stackable_Micro_Brick)/PLC_Units/C0-02DD2-D
	2. Cheap pressure transmitter ($125) http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Sensors_-z-_Encoders/Pressure_Sensors/Pressure_Transmitters/Ceramic_Sensing_Element_-_M12_Cable_Connection/PTD25-10-0200H
	3. Cheap display ($161) http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Operator_Interfaces/C-more_Micro-Graphic_Panels/3_inch_Panels_-a-_Accessories/EA1-S3ML-N
	4. Cheap software ($0) to program the PLC http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Programmable_Controllers/CLICK_Series_PLCs_(Stackable_Micro_Brick)/PLC_Units/C0-00DR-D

and Display http://support.automationdirect.com/products/cmoremicro.html

	5. Total cost $415

	6. Of course if you already had a PLC for boat
systems, then all you would need is pressure transmitter and a bit of ladder logic programming.
	7. Finally, you can always go old school install a manual
depth gage http://www.weksler-gauges.com/pdf/p22.pdf

Cliff