[PSUBS-MAILIST] thruster sizing etc

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Sep 27 08:17:38 EDT 2014

Alec,
what size motors do you have on Snoopy?
I remember watching you disappear into the blue surprisingly quickly in Florida.
Were you using the stern & side thrusters simultaneously?
Are you happy with the speed?
I have spent a LOT of time Googling brushless motors & haven't come up with
an easy solution.
I was looking particularly at inrunner motors, as they have a couple of advantages
over outrunners, however outrunners have lower revs. Whatever, they are both going
to need gearing down majorly & matching up with a planetary gear isn't looking easy.
Most of the motors that are available are found at Hobby King & are lightweight & made
mainly for model planes. So their strength & ability to sustain several hours of
continual operation are in question.
Must be a solution out there because 9 out of 10 thruster manufacturers are using brushless motors & I doubt they would be making there own.