[PSUBS-MAILIST] thruster sizing etc

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Sep 27 23:55:21 EDT 2014

Hi Alan,

On the stern, snoopy has a 55 lb Minnkota. The side thrusters are actually
of unknown thrust, they came with Snoopy and are Motorguides but I'm not
exactly sure which model. My estimate would be about 40 lbs (each). What
you saw in Florida would have been forward motion based on the stern
thruster alone, as I was using the side thrusters just for depth keeping,
locked vertical. The K250 has very limited battery capacity, carrying three
batteries in the standard design and four in Snoopy. I find the thrusters
well proportioned to the limited battery capacity. The bottom line is that
a K250 has perfectly adequate thrusters and batteries for diving, but not
enough for surface runs. Something in the league of Minnkota 101s is great,
but only on subs with battery pods.

Best,

Alec

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 8:17 AM, Alan via Personal_Submersibles <