[PSUBS-MAILIST] minn-kota cabling to hull

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Apr 16 18:23:37 EDT 2015

Alan,

The best approach is to use threaded rod with the potting, if possible.
My question is probably better stated in the context of whether air
trapped between a multi-wire cable and the surrounding sheath is an
issue to be concerned about.  Some cables have a good tight sheath but
others such as CAT-5 is pretty sloppy.

A potential concern of the blue globe gland since it seals around the
cable sheath is what happens if the sheath gets damaged and cut
underwater.  Water pressure will allow creep to flow between the wires
and sheath bypassing the gland.  However the same would be true of a
home-made potted penetrator as well.  What type of inflow should we
expect from such a breach?  Minor?

Jon