[PSUBS-MAILIST] minn-kota cabling to hull

Stephen Fordyce via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Apr 16 18:58:45 EDT 2015

Hi Jon,
I did an experiment with this recently for my underwater caving light:
- Cable gland (no-name Chinese brass one, which I have since successful
tested to 160m!)
- 2-core (1mm2 I think) twisted pair cable with pretty solid sheath (ie. no
air spaces), ~6mm/1/4" OD
- External pressure: 80m water depth
- Pressurising medium: air

The cable didn't extrude or otherwise move, but the leakage through the
wire strands was significant (ie. comfortably audible without being too
loud, and slightly too much to blow bubbles in soapy water).

I didn't measure it, but the flow would be less for water, and probably
wouldn't be filling up your sub too quickly.

Something to point out on the inside/outside cable glands is that the
Ie. for external all the force is compressing the fitting against the hull,
whereas for internal the threaded section is in tension (and some are not
very thick).  I don't think typical cable glands are meant for internal
pressure, but the Blue Globes are probably good for it.

If anyone is interested, the cable glands I used and tested are these:
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6439871078.html?orderId=65381957659001
(the O rings are a bit average, and I doubt they would be much good for
internal pressure, but otherwise shiny and good quality, with 100% success
on sealing for 4 of them to 160m)

Cheers,
Steve

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 8:23 AM, Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles <