[PSUBS-MAILIST] dome mount

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Apr 22 07:50:12 EDT 2015

I had a design problem with my AL dome seat.  I had the strap assembly bolted to the AL seat only, and that was a mistake.  After installing the dome assembly on the sub I double checked the fit and found that when I tighten the straps the Al seat was distorting.  I am not very experienced working with large AL material and did not realize how Whimpy it is.  I corrected this by drilling through the AL and into the 2in thick reinforcing ring and installing studs.  Now the strap assembly pulls from the steel ring.  I simply tighten the strap assembly until I see an even impression in the EPDM gasket.  I am now reassembling Gamma, I am excited to get back in the water and try out my dome.