[PSUBS-MAILIST] dome mount

Emile van Essen via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Apr 22 09:26:44 EDT 2015

Which Alu? Yield varies from 100 to 450 N/mm2
AW 5083 or Anodised AW6082 is the best for domerings in my opinion.

Emile

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Personal_Submersibles [mailto:personal_submersibles-bounces at psubs.org]
Namens hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles
Verzonden: woensdag 22 april 2015 13:50
Aan: personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Onderwerp: [PSUBS-MAILIST] dome mount

I had a design problem with my AL dome seat.  I had the strap assembly
bolted to the AL seat only, and that was a mistake.  After installing the
dome assembly on the sub I double checked the fit and found that when I
tighten the straps the Al seat was distorting.  I am not very experienced
working with large AL material and did not realize how Whimpy it is.  I
corrected this by drilling through the AL and into the 2in thick reinforcing
ring and installing studs.  Now the strap assembly pulls from the steel
ring.  I simply tighten the strap assembly until I see an even impression in
the EPDM gasket.  I am now reassembling Gamma, I am excited to get back in
the water and try out my dome.