[PSUBS-MAILIST] Environment and Control software

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Aug 11 14:50:32 EDT 2015

Hi David,

I can use any display that provides an HDMI connection.  This could be a
small 5" 800x600 monitor incorporated into a radio-control transmitter
type handheld unit or it could be a 24 inch 1920x1080 computer monitor.
None of these would be moisture rated and would require adequate
protection but I don't see this as an exceptionally difficult task.  At
a cost of between $75-$100 I would keep a couple of spares on-board in
case water infiltration caused component failure.

Tablets are much more expensive, but waterproof cases can be obtained
for tablets pretty cheaply, $50-$100.  The primary attraction for using
a tablet is one of convenience in that it is self-contained regarding
operating system, storage, HD display, and even battery backup if the
main batteries fail.  Additionally, you've got a fully functional tablet
that is easy to carry in/out of the submarine.  Not diving today?...well
you can still use the tablet for other things.

Jon