[PSUBS-MAILIST] Bike sub program

Stephen Fordyce via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Aug 20 07:06:25 EDT 2015

Hi James,
A diving mate of mine made a SCUBA-bike - it had tyres filled with lead to
help keep it down, and possibly some lead and/or foam on the frame, but no
other adaptations.  Several people tried to ride it underwater while
wearing conventional single-tank SCUBA gear with not a huge amount of
success.  I think it remains an underwater bike...

Some key lessons learned that may be useful:
- Without pedals attached to your feet, it was impossible to put enough
weight on the pedal to move the thing forward
- In even the slightest current or surge it fell over!  (almost inevitable
in shallow water in anything other than a very well sheltered place)

The second one probably won't apply so much with your ballast and
floatation tanks - but if you're trying to keep the wheels in contact with
the seabed the whole thing will tilt from side to side.

Cheers,
Steve

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 8:26 PM, Alan James via Personal_Submersibles <