[PSUBS-MAILIST] Hull Calc: 78" spheres

Fri Jan 9 21:46:18 EST 2015

Yeah, you really need to cross your t's and dot your i's when tendering a bid or ordering a part to specification. Anything not explicitly spelled out is subject to interpretation or disregard.  I always create completely dimensioned and toleranced engineering drawings for this purpose, in addition to material specifications and test performance requirements, and make clear that if the part doesn't pass QC, the supplier is responsible for correcting the problem. I get such an agreement signed. Of course, I have the benefit of having been doing this professionally for years. Strict hobbyists cannot be expected to be as informed.

That said, I would take the required tolerances, roundness, test procedures and so forth right out of the guides, and present this when getting quotes so that I get the true cost for what I need, and discover right away if it is not within a supplier's capabilities.

How did your dome turn out? Were you able to correct it?

Sean