[PSUBS-MAILIST] FW: Escape with Steinke Hoods.

"Carsten Standfuß" via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Jan 15 15:05:00 EST 2015

The Steinke hood can be use with air, ever in greater deep the time to
the surface will be very short. More serious is the flooding time of the
submarine.

If you need 20 Minutes to flood the submarine in 100 meter deep (300
feet) it do not matter any more which gas you have in the hood for 1-2
minutes.
You will get decompression illness or dead anyway.

The compression time in the submarine has to be short as possible.
A big flood valve help. Releaseing the rest of you gas from the
boats-bottles at the end of the flooding time into your flood
cpompartment to equalize the pressure help also.

One drawback of the Steinke Hood is that it is even as expirence
sportdiver nearly impossible to stop the unit at 9 or 6 or 3 m deep for
a decompression stop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAP_Pacocha_%28SS-48%29

another from the internet:

Exercise Sorbet Royal
A NATO exercise, Sorbet Royal in May 2002 (Cohen 2003), demonstrated the
effectiveness of the system when four crewmembers and five others from
Denmark, the UK and USA, both men and women, donned SEIE suits to
simulate an escape from the Swedish submarine Vastergotland, down 115
feet off the coast of Denmark. The submarine’s escape tower had a four
to six minutes recycle time, (determined chiefly the time it takes to
drain the flooded tower) but they used a 15-minute interval for this
demonstration. The exercise worked as briefed, with 18 seconds required
for the pressure equalisation phase, the pressure doubling roughly every
four seconds or so, and nine seconds required for the ascent. Rescue
units, including a decompression chamber, were waiting in smooth seas on
the surface.

Vbr Carsten