[PSUBS-MAILIST] gasket test results

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Jul 8 08:15:00 EDT 2015

I did my testing this morning and found some scary results.  I bonded EPDM gasket material to my port test chamber and tested a port to 500 psi.  The gasket extruded about 1/16 of an inch.  When I greased the surface of the gasket and pressured it to 500 psi, the gasket extruded 1/2 inch.  When the pressure is released the gasket returns to its original position.
When the same test is done without bonding, I get the same result.

My next test will be with the bearing surface machined to create tiny ridges for traction.