[PSUBS-MAILIST] gasket test results

via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Jul 8 13:38:25 EDT 2015

Rick,
The manufacturer will supply torque rates for installation. Once you get a feel for it, you'll probably find that it's somewhere in the region of finger tight + a slight graunch with a box wrench to snug it up enough to hold, but no more. Smooth surfaces and proper lubrication will take care of the o-ring. These things are designed to be used that way, remember. As to backing nuts, we liked them because you don't have to worry about moisture in the threads and, more importantly, you don't have to twist wires to install or remove them. The full tilt commercial thru-hulls are built long enough for this, and make them worth the money. If you've got the money, that is. Those puppies are pricey these days.
Vance