[PSUBS-MAILIST] instrument and environment display

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Jul 13 15:09:21 EDT 2015

I am going to move to complete computerized display of sensors (depth,
temp, compass, etc).  My original plan was to feed a bank of 7-segment
LCD displays (see attached image) but the cost of moving to a tablet is
going to be less than double and the tradeoff of a superior display is
worth that extra cost.  If I can find a reasonable priced 10 inch (or
so) touchscreen display I could even use a raspberry-pi instead of a
tablet.  I may try this first since I already have a PI.

I've got a prototype for the graphics available at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9X5iX5pRjM which includes depth,
vertical rate, pitch, roll, and compass heading modeled after an
aircraft multi-function display (MFD).  Note that in the demo code the
depth and vrate are not synchronized, nor are the green up/down
indicators associated with VRATE.  I've set a yellow alert at 500 foot
depth and a red alarm at 600 feet depth.  I've also set a yellow alert
at 60 feet-per-minute vertical rate and a red alarm at 90
feet-per-minute vertical rate.  Remember Matilda?  This is where her
sultry voice will gently reinforce the prospect of impending doom if the
visual alarms are missed (or ignored).

I will be adding cabin/water temperature, humidity, cabin pressure, O2
and CO2 levels and a clock to the display as soon as I can figure out
what I want them to look like.  Might be simple dials, might be
graduated bars...we'll see.

Jon