[PSUBS-MAILIST] instrument and environment display

Thu Jul 16 09:41:25 EDT 2015

Jon - sounds like an interesting project. I've never played around with any of those low cost / DIY solutions, but it sounds like they're rapidly closing the performance gap with true industrial systems.

At work, I do a lot of data acquisition and embedded controller development using National Instruments hardware, particularly on the CompactRIO hardware platform, which combines deterministic real-time processing with FPGAs for high speed low level I/O. I'd probably still be inclined to go that route (real-time vs pre-emptive OS) for a critical application (life support, excursion control, etc.), but the barriers to entry are high. The last small system I built was about $4000 for the controller and FPGA, exclusive of I/O modules.

Accessible technologies like BASIC stamps, Arduinos and Raspberry PI are generating a ton of impressive DIY projects these days, and might be perfect for a PSub.

Sean