[PSUBS-MAILIST] LED Lights

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Jul 27 15:26:08 EDT 2015

Hi David,you can get really simple with these LEDs & run the emitter straight fromthe power source. The light intensity fluctuates with the heat, but with thelight intensity we are talking about, it might not be noticable. The trick wouldbe picking a voltage low enough so that it didn't get too bright & burn out the emitter when it warmed up. Next step up in simplicity is to just stick a resistor in series, & there arecalculators for this on line. I am wondering if a thermister instead of a resisterwould be a good idea, as this would restrict the current as the unit heated up.It may be a good option for running out of water if the thermister values were right.The beauty of this system would be that you would only have 2 componentsthat you could damage by heating. The down side is a reduction in efficiencyover a buck driver type system.Cheers Alan