[PSUBS-MAILIST] Earth Fault

Emile van Essen via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Jul 28 16:49:26 EDT 2015

I overlooked the chassis of the 24 to 12 VDC convertor..

Emile

  _____

Van: Personal_Submersibles [mailto:personal_submersibles-bounces at psubs.org]
Namens James Frankland via Personal_Submersibles
Verzonden: maandag 27 juli 2015 12:34
Aan: Personal Submersibles General Discussion
Onderwerp: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Earth Fault

Hi All

I have a very peculiar issue.  I have an earth fault on the boat.

My test consists of holding one probe of the meter on the positive battery
terminal and the other to the hull somewhere.  I was showing a reading of
24v.  So obviously a negative connection somewhere to the hull.

I went around everything taking things off and have tracked the fault down
to the lights.

The lights are the trustfire ones and the negative connection is grounded to
the chassis of the light.  However, when I fitted the lights, I was aware of
this and so insulated the mounting bracket from the  light casing itself
with a piece of rubber.  So theoretically, there is no physical connection
from the case to the hull.  Only the internal wire.

Anyway, if I disconnect the lights and leave them dangling on their wires,
there is no earth fault.  The lights all work, and the hull is clean of
current.

So the lights must be leaking back through the connection somehow, but I
cant see how.  The case is insulated from the mounting bracket with rubber
and the brackets are connected to the fibreglass faring, so it shouldn't
leak back?

Anyway, ive fixed it by insulating the mounting bolts with delrin washers,
but I cant see how the earth could return through a piece of rubber and then
glass fibre.  A mystery unless anyone can see something obvious?

Regards

James