[PSUBS-MAILIST] Idea..?

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Jun 18 12:15:57 EDT 2015

I think most have an OP valve, and I'd strongly encourage any who don't to
put one in. If you read Kittredge's book, the lack of an OP valve was the
cause of the only K-boat accident so far. Fortunately nothing happened to
him, but Kittredge had a slow cabin air leak during his dive and upon
surfacing blew out the dome when just below the surface. He was blown out
himself with it. The sub sank, and he proceeded to re-float it without
losing  beat. I use the OP valve routinely to equalize pressure so I can
open the hatch easily. Just a little push on the stem does it. One thing
about OP valves, they have to be capable of handling large flow rates.
Don't use a little Swagelok check valve or such small thing.

Best,

Alec

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 10:55 AM, Brian Cox via Personal_Submersibles <