[PSUBS-MAILIST] Electrical Question

Mon Jun 29 08:48:15 EDT 2015

Hi All,

Ive made a real point of making sure that nothing at all is electrically
connected to the hull of my boat.  Everything is wired to and from the
battery and insulated from the hull.

However, ive recently fitted a new item, a Cornelius compressor which Hank
gave me.  Ive realised that the negative terminal on the unit is the
chassis of the compressor, which is bolted to brackets on the hull, so its
actually connected to the hull of the boat as well.

The hull of the boat is not connected to the negative battery terminal.

I don't think there is an issue there with galvanic corrosion, but im not
sure.

I could insulate the compressor from the mounting bracket and hence
insulate it from the hull, but it will be a bloody pain and im diving this
weekend so don't really want to start changing it now.

Thanks
James