[PSUBS-MAILIST] Electrical Question

Mon Jun 29 09:46:01 EDT 2015

Your electrical system should not be negative grounded, meaning that the battery negative should not be common with the hull / chassis as it would be in an automotive system, for example. The reason for this is in part to do with galvanic corrosion, since this avoids regular currents and nonzero potentials through structural elements, and in part to do with arc safety, since a single fault or operator error which connects either battery potential to the chassis will not produce a short circuit current through the battery in this case. That said, SAFETY grounds, which include AC ground and most chassis ground and cable shield connections which are confirmed not in common with the supply DC negative, should indeed be connected through the hull (either locally or through a dedicated ground point) in order to serve their intended function: providing a short path to earth-ground potential in the event of a fault that might otherwise energize equipment / chasses that could be hazardous to
personnel, and serving as a connection to an "infinite" charge sink to reference cable shields to for effective noise rejection.

A negative connected chassis on a DC powered compressor can be accommodated, as you surmised, by isolating that chassis from the hull, and additionally should be isolated from the operator / cabin (via enclosure?), because the chassis in that case does not represent the safety ground potential, and is thus akin to a large bare conductor at the battery negative potential.  Alternatively, you could look at modifying the unit to break the negative-chassis connection, running that negative to the battery and grounding the chassis.

Sean