[PSUBS-MAILIST] Specifications when ordering shell

Mon Mar 23 07:55:09 EDT 2015

Hi Andre,

I was in this position some years ago.  Not knowing what to specify on the
order.

I believe the EN number is a certificate of the material quality.  Mine was
done to EN10204.3.1.B but i never specified it.  I just asked for the
material type.

So just ask for your dimensions of shell, material, percentage of round,
bevel, weld.

Example.

Shell.  P355 Steel.  10mm Thick.

OD 1000mm x 2000mm length.
Shell to be within +\- 3mm on diameter.
Welded seam.
35 degree external bevel with 2mm nose.

Something like that should do it.  They will send you a quote and should
tell you what material grade it what code they will be working to.

Make sure you specify clearly the tolerance of roundness you want and say
your not paying for it if its not right.  They will probably need to
re-roll the cylinder.

Ideally go to the factory with a wooden template and measure the cylinder
before you accept it.

Get the bevel put on, it will save you pain.  But. don't bother with grit
blasting, you need to paint it straight away after that or it will start to
oxidise again.  By the time you've finished your hull, it will be all rusty
again.  Grit blast when you've finished working on the hull.

Someone else may have some other suggestions.  Comments.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards
James