[PSUBS-MAILIST] Zinc coating

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri May 1 06:50:54 EDT 2015

Brian,
It seems to me that the amount of effort needed to protect your hull with paint is a function of how you use it.  If it sits in a boat slip year round you would need a very serious paint system.  If your going to just dip it in the water once in a while then how important is it.  I am in fresh water only, so I painted Gamma with hardware store rust paint.  Also, there is no such thing as going for a dive and returning scratch free. Gamma needs a touch up after every dive (almost). I would spend the money on a compressor and sand blaster and do it myself, don't paint anything until your welding is finished.  You can also minimize the rust potential with a good design.  Make sure you have no areas that are impossible to paint. I would say if your doing any type of paint system, you should worry about compatibility. Do like Alan says and go to your favorite boat guys and ask what system they like best. Paint system opinions are like Ford versus Chev and air
 compensating verses oil filling :-)