[PSUBS-MAILIST] Snoopy for sale

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Nov 21 22:50:54 EST 2015

Hi Friends,

The reason I was trying to contact Jon was to get my 2-person K-250 Snoopy
listed for sale on the site. My new sub is going to be ready in time for
spring, and Snoopy's berth in the garage is needed to build the new sub's
trailer.

I just completed a minor overhaul, replacing a speed controller and the
insides of both side thrusters. Only the cans were reused, to avoid
re-potting the conductors, but the entire insides of the motors are new.
The stern thruster has only two summers on it so no need for maintenance at
this time. In fact there is no backlog of needed maintenance, everything is
functional. She has made dives to 250 feet and has been tested to 400 feet
unmanned. A firm prospective buyer is invited to spend an afternoon diving
before committing. Here is a list of included equipment:

- Extending tongue trailer
- SCUBA tanks (2)
- O2 tank
- External flood lights (4)
- Navigational lights
- Camera mounts (4)
- Scrubber
- Cabin pressure gauge
- O2 meter
- O2 regulator
- Built-in breathing supply
- Emergency buoy
- Depth sounder
- Spare air (2)
- Fire extinguisher
- Trawl floats (6)
- 70 lb lead ballast for salt water ops
- Compass

Relative to a standard K-250, Snoopy has some improvements:

- MBT valves are mounted with O-ring sealed through-hulls instead of sealed
to the CT with silicone.
- Removable bulkhead so you can add or modify penetrators without welding.
- Control by portable fly-by-wire box.
- Variable speed controllers instead of switches.
- Rudder replaced by a stern thruster moved by an electric linear actuator.
This frees up the pilot's feet, there are no pedals.
- Side thrusters index plates, freeing up the pilot's hands.
- Redundant MBTs (standard bow/stern MBTs plus saddle MBTs)
- VBT replaced by external trawl float tubes
- SCUBA tanks moved outside
- 4 batteries instead of 3
- Life support
- Cabin over-pressure valve
- Dome is sealed with O-ring rather than potted
- 100% 316 stainless brackets and mounts
- HP MBT air supply, eliminating regulator

The PSUBS project page shows much of this:
http://www.psubs.org/projects/1234567810/snoopyin2012/

Snoopy will come with checklists, emergency procedures, and log book. The
only items NOT included are a Desert Star locator beacon and the OTS
communications, because I intend to use them in the new sub. But the
through-hull, transducer mount, and a cabin amplifier are ready for you to
just plug in your own comms.

Here are some videos:

https://vimeo.com/131692448
https://vimeo.com/76340636
https://vimeo.com/53131444
https://vimeo.com/18184179

I've asked a few people here what they thought a fair price might be, and
the consensus was $25K, so that's what I'm asking. If you want to email me
off list, I'm at alecsmyth at gmail.com.

Best,