[PSUBS-MAILIST] Gauge for outside viewport?

Hugh Fulton via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Oct 7 02:19:40 EDT 2015

Gauges are filled with oil when you want some dampening of the needle.  Like on compressors.  Also helps longevity in salt water or corrosive atmosphere environments.

The more air they have the more accurate because if there is no air bubble in the gauge the oil has to escape from the housing as the bourdon tube expands and the pressure of exhausting the oil will cause an inaccuracy. ( mostly in low pressure gauges).  If they are full you end up with dribbles.  They generally have a rubber bung on the top.  Also if you fill it with oil and have it outside the sub you will have the same pressure inside and outside the bourdon tube and it wont measure.

Hugh