[PSUBS-MAILIST] Cutting circlip grooves

Emile van Essen via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Oct 13 10:46:43 EDT 2015

The tungsten tools er often 3 mm wide. Purchasing a 1,1mm for just a few
grooves is expensive.

Better use a toolbit of modify a tooling steel cutter.

Emile

  _____

Van: Personal_Submersibles [mailto:personal_submersibles-bounces at psubs.org]
Namens Alan James via Personal_Submersibles
Verzonden: dinsdag 13 oktober 2015 9:08
Aan: Personal Submersibles General Discussion
Onderwerp: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Cutting circlip grooves

Hi,

I need to cut a few external circlip grooves in stainless 316 rod.

One is 1.1mm wide (3/64") & the other .7mm (1/32") wide. The shaft is 10mm &
8mm diameter.

I have a lathe tool that fits tungsten inserts & am wondering that IF I can
get an insert

the right width, whether the tungsten would be too brittle for that.

Another option may be a dremmel drill & disk if I can set it up on the lathe
carriage & if they have

grinding disks that diameter.

Any suggestions, comments appreciated.

Thanks, Alan