[PSUBS-MAILIST] Cutting circlip grooves

Hugh Fulton via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Oct 13 15:28:45 EDT 2015

Alan,

Welcome to machining.

You need a variety of tooling, both external tool holders and internal boring bars with a range of tips.  All are tungsten or Silicon carbide these days.  Tips for steel, stainless steel, aluminium etc are all different these days although you can get some general purpose tips.  Forget dremels. Decide on a supplier,  Iscar, Sandvik, Seco they are not cheap but it is easy to ruin a job halfway through.

You will also need a range of measuring equipment, set of micrometers 0-150mm, Telescopic gauges, dial indicators, etc.  not to mention drills and taps.  Also get a copy of machinery’s handbook.

To grind high speed steel (HSS) tooling you need to read a few books or do a course at tech.   Book in for a machining class and you can do a lot of homers there without having to buy tools.  Next thing you need is then a milling machine.  Hugh