[PSUBS-MAILIST] Fw:

Pete Niedermayr via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Oct 24 12:24:10 EDT 2015

Hank, What kind of depth sounder do you use.

Pete
On Sat, 10/24/15, hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Fw:
 To: "Personal Submersibles General Discussion" <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
 Date: Saturday, October 24, 2015, 10:46 AM

 Sean,Great, I
 will do just that and make a template to find the worst
 spot.  I did communicate with EE regarding the
 importance of smooth sphericity.  The head sales guy asked
 for pictures and took them to Quality control guy.  Quality
 control guy says they can not eliminate that fold and it
 exists  until a thickness of 2 inches.  They do not offer
 a segmented head in that size range either.  If I was
 calling on behalf of Shell Oil, I suspect they would :-)
 Head sales guy was polite but firm that the issue was
 dead.

      On Saturday, October 24, 2015 8:52 AM, Sean T.
 Stevenson via Personal_Submersibles
 <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:

  I would suggest
 characterising this exactly - do you have access to
 ultrasonic measurement? With the halves already welded,
 getting a caliper in might be tricky.
 Use a template to measure the out-of-round
 deviation in the worst possible plane. (Radius to match your
 design outer radius, subtending 120° of arc) If the radial
 distance between the template and the shell surface never
 exceeds 1/2 percent of the overall diameter at any point,
 then you're good to go. Just locate and measure the
 minimum shell thickness and use that measurement to
 determine the maximum allowable working depth.
 Looking forward, it's probably worth
 having a chat with someone at EE to explain why sphericity
 is critical, and seeing if they can accommodate you. They
 probably don't deal with many externally pressurised
 vessels, so e.g. additional press steps may be within their
 capabilities, but just not have occurred to them to
 do.
 Personally, I hate talking to people on the
 phone, so I create engineering drawings which are
 exhaustively toleranced, such that there is no way a
 supplied part could comply with the drawing and not be
 suitable. If a part doesn't meet the spec, I don't
 accept it.
 Sean

 On October 24, 2015 7:11:09
 AM MDT, hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles
 <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:
 Sean,
 I would say just out
 of round, very slightly.

                             Sean T. Stevenson via
 Personal_Submersibles
 <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>;

                             Personal Submersibles General
 Discussion <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>;

 AM MDT, hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles
 <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:
 Hi Emile
 ,I thought
 the fold line in the heads might be a Canadian fabrication
 trait, but after studying pictures of Nordic Sub, I see the
 exact same fold.  I assume you sourced your heads in
 Europe.  Did you increase the thickness to compensate, or
 is it a non issue. Thanks'Hank

      On Friday, October
 23, 2015 1:56 PM, hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles