[PSUBS-MAILIST] Light lense

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Sep 1 22:38:01 EDT 2015

Hank,all,went & saw a friend who is an expert on LEDs today.He runs 9 million LEDs at a time on sports ground advertising displays,travels to China to buy them etc.He said it would be fine to put the constant current LED driver in the hull & have just the LED in the light housing. He suggested using sheilded cable,as the pulsing current to the LED produces a lot of electrical noise. This isonly required if there is other equipment on board that it might interfere with.   This seems a great way to do it because the driver produces a bit of heat, & it would reduce the effect of conbined heat sources in the one housing.Also the back of the emitter that generates most heat could be heat sinkedstraight on to the back of the light housing. The wiring would have to come in from the side to do this.    He advised backing off the current & not driving them hard if I wanted them to last.He had a commercially available light fitting with a 10,000 lumen emitter in it sitting round(out of water use) it had a huge amount of heat sinks out the back of it.Alan