[PSUBS-MAILIST] altimeter ?

via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Sep 6 10:16:06 EDT 2015

Brian,

Assuming your starting point is sea level pressure or 0 feet  of altitude,
if the altimeter reading moves to -1000 feet you would have an
over-pressure of a half pound (scroll down to the chart below).  Since  altimeters are
designed primarily to register pressures less than 14.7 psi, I'm  not sure
what effective range most of them have at pressures greater than  that.  As
referenced in Lasse's first link, the ANSI standard for accuracy  goes down to
-700 feet.  The higher the pressure, the lower the  altitude (cabin
pressure altitude, not depth in the water).

In a sub I would generally prefer an  analog altimeter.  Set the pointer
straight up at 0 to start, and any  decrease or increase in cabin pressure
quickly registers by the pointer moving  left or right.

Jim T.

.

The table  below indicates air pressure at elevations below and above sea
level.

Altitude Above  Sea Level
Absolute  Barometer
Absolute  Atmospheric Pressure
feet
meters
inches  Hg
mm  Hg
psia
kg/cm2
kPa
-5000
-1524
35.7
914
17.5
1.23
121
-4500
-1372
35.1
898
17.2
1.21
119
-4000
-1219
34.5
882
16.9
1.19
117
-3500
-1067
33.9
867
16.6
1.17
115
-3000
-914
33.3
852
16.4
1.15
113
-2500
-762
32.7
837
16.1
1.13
111
-2000
-610
32.1
822
15.8
1.11
109
-1500
-457
31.6
807
15.5
1.09
107
-1000
-305
31.0
793
15.2
1.07
105
-500
-152
30.5
779
15.0
1.05
103
01)
0
29.9
765
14.7
1.03
101
500
152
29.4
751
14.4
1.01
99.5
1000
305
28.9
738
14.2
0.997
97.7
1500
457
28.3
724
13.9
0.979
96.0
2000
610
27.8
711
13.7
0.961
94.2
2500
762
27.3
698
13.4
0.943
92.5
3000
914
26.8
686
13.2
0.926
90.8
3500
1067
26.3
673
12.9
0.909
89.1
4000
1219
25.8
661
12.7
0.893
87.5
4500
1372
25.4
649
12.5
0.876
85.9
5000
1524
24.9
637
12.2
0.860
84.3
6000
1829
24.0
613
11.8
0.828
81.2
7000
2134
23.1
590
11.3
0.797
78.2
8000
2438
22.2

568
10.9
0.768
75.3
9000
2743
21.4
547
10.5
0.739
72.4
10000
3048
20.6
526
10.1
0.711
69.7
15000
4572
16.9
432
8.29
0.583
57.2
20000
6096
13.8
352
6.75
0.475
46.6
25000
7620
11.1
284
5.45
0.384
37.6
30000
9144
8.89
227
4.36
0.307
30.1
35000
10668
7.04
180
3.46
0.243
23.8
40000
12192
5.52
141
2.71
0.191
18.7
45000
13716
4.28
109
2.10
0.148
14.5
50000
15240
3.27
83.6
1.61
0.113
11.1

In a message dated 9/6/2015 3:02:15 A.M. Central Daylight Time,