[PSUBS-MAILIST] Depth Gage

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Sep 15 08:23:58 EDT 2015

Alec, graduations of distance measurement is going to be limited by
processing hardware not sensor accuracy.  With a sensitive enough ADC
(i.e. 16 bit) any sensor will show small graduations of vertical
movement.  The higher accuracy unit will only provide a better
representation of actual depth, but you also have to remember that the
delta between measured and actual with a %FS unit will be greater at the
higher end of the scale than the lower end.  So unless you are
consistently diving deep a 1%FS is going to be more than accurate enough
in most cases.

Jon