[PSUBS-MAILIST] Depth Gage

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Sep 15 09:14:24 EDT 2015

Oh my, I have so thoroughly forgotten this stuff even though it was used in
every project back in college. The gauge comes in various ranges, and I got
the 500 psi model which has a minimum graduation of 1 foot of water (no
decimals). To summarize what you are saying, would this correct? At any
depth, I could tell if I were rising or sinking with a 1 foot change in
depth since that is the minimum graduation. At full design depth of 1,000
feet, the accuracy of the depth reading would be 2.5 feet. At shallower
depths, the accuracy would be better but we're not sure exactly by how much
- I'd say its immaterial since 2.5 feet is already more than accurate
enough. There is also the issue of fresh versus salt water having a 3%
density differential, a way larger "error" than the accuracy of the
instrument. BTW the next model up (DPG-200) has both fresh and salt water
display units.

Best,

Alec

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 8:23 AM, Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles <