[PSUBS-MAILIST] Fw:

Stephen Fordyce via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Sep 19 17:04:33 EDT 2015

Hi Hank,
That is admirably simple, especially the bit about the pressure holding it
on after you undo the bolts.

I wonder though did you consider the scenarios of a partly or fully
pressurised sub as you are escaping?  (I'm curious as to what valves are
included for the escape pod) Highly unlikely really, but then so is having
to use the escape pod - here are some specific cases I can think of.
1. There is a slight vacuum in the pod on surfacing (sucking hatch closed)
2. There is a slight overpressure in the pod on surfacing (blowing hatch
open)
3. There is a major over-pressure during ascent (ie. Sub and pod were
partly or fully at ambient before escape). Main implication is blowing the
hatch, but if you were actually at ambient it would be incredibly tragic if
the pod fell off due to lack of pressure holding it on.

Cheers,
Steve