[PSUBS-MAILIST] scrubber performance

Mon Aug 15 12:34:11 EDT 2016

Pay particular attention to ensuring that you can pack your scrubber in such a way as to eliminate the possibility of channelling. Gas will always flow through the least resistance path, and if the scrubber granules are not densely packed, your gas will flow through any voids in the media without being properly exposed to the surfaces of the media granules. Typically, diver rebreather scrubbers are filled in increments, with shaking / vibration mandated in between to settle the media to its most dense packing as you fill it, and finally a spring load or other adjustment maintains a zero clearance closure against the full scrubber.  Perhaps less important in a sub than a rebreather, as in the sub you are not directly rebreathing your exhaled gas at full concentration, but efficiency is important for other reasons, not the least of which is your power budget.

Sean