[PSUBS-MAILIST] Alan's new motors

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Aug 15 16:13:10 EDT 2016

Thanks Hank,the BLDC (brushless DC) motors have 3 large power wires coming from them.If you energized the right 2 you would get a momentary partial movement of the motor. In a "sensored" BLDC you usually have 3 hall effect sensorsthat send position feedback to a microcontroller, which turns on mosfets,(switches), & these send power through to the correct 2 of the 3 wiresin sequence.There are various integrated circuits you can buy that do the job of receivingthe signals from your speed controller & the hall sensors, & then switch themosfets on at the correct time. The wiring diagrams are provided for all of this;however I will need to work on the mosfet circuitry & power input to them, plusa lot more, like over current protection & reversing.It's amazing what has happened with the internet over the last 20 years. Iwouldn't have had a foggy clue about any of this without it. If you don'tunderstand anything there are oodles of online videos & resourses.Cheers Alan