[PSUBS-MAILIST] Motor modification

Mon Dec 5 17:58:00 EST 2016

The things that can cause a change in the required compensation volume are:

1) Any existing gas bubbles shrinking or expanding with pressure change
2) Volume change of the housing, of the oil, or of the motor itself (windings, shaft, bearings, etc.) due to change in temperature of any of these
3) Pumping action of the shaft seals due to the geometry at the seal lip, which can drive small amounts of fluid in or out of the system in proportion to shaft speed, and
4) other leaks.

In short, going entirely uncompensated is not wise (unless your shaft seals have been proven to withstand a pressure differential equal to the pressure at the operating depth), because any entrained air which shrinks, temperature change, or seal lip pumping will generate a delta-P across the seals, and if it is negative, any leakage across the seal will admit sea (or lake, etc.) water to the enclosure.  Adding non biased compensation reduces the delta-P across the seal to zero, but that doesn't mean it won't leak because the dynamic seal lip pumping can still be a problem.  Adding bias to the compensation (air pressure, spring pressure, preloaded elastic bladder, etc.) ensures that the delta-P is positive, so that any leak that does occur will be outward rather than inward, and furthermore, gives you a condition monitoring tool in the form of the bladder volume, since you can tell if the reservoir volume has been consumed that you have had a leak.

Sean