[PSUBS-MAILIST] cheap weigh scale

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Jan 15 20:40:08 EST 2016

Today I was anxious to know how much my new sub weighs now that the hatch and port frame is all done and working.  So I built a weigh scale-it is a hydraulic cylinder hanging from my gantry chain hoist.  One end is hooked to the hoist and the other end is hooked to the sub.  There is a very accurate gauge threaded into the hydraulic cylinder port with a shut off valve and a tee with a hydraulic hose going to the other port on the cylinder.  When I lift the sub the cylinder tries to stretch and the gauge rises.  You just take the area of the cylinder bore and subtract the area of the cylinder rod then multiply the result by the pressure on the gauge.  It is very accurate-I know because I was adding and subtracting weights to check it.  Just leaning on the sub moves the gauge.Hank