[PSUBS-MAILIST] Brushless thruster test

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Jan 30 17:54:12 EST 2016

Cliff,the prop is a 3 blade 7&1/4" x 4" pitch off a yamaha 2hp motor.The motor diameter is 63mm diameter x 74mm long (called a 6374) about 2&1/2'' x 3"About 3hp specs below.Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6374-149kv Brushless Outrunner Motor

|   |
| Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6374-149kv Brushless Outrunner...Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6374-149kv Brushless Outrunner Motor |
|  |
| View on www.hobbyking.com | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

To measure the thrust I designed a wooden apparatus that fitted to the steps of my nephews swimming pool.It is a beam that extends horizontally out over the swimming pool & has a vertical member going down in to the poolthat is hinged at it's half way point. At the bottom of the vertical member the thruster is mounted, & at an equaldistance above the hinge is an eye bolt for connecting a cable to some electronic scales. There is another eye boltnear the start of the horizontal beam & the scales are suspended between these two eye bolts.In my set up I can only measure forward thrust.Before I made the housing I did an initial test with no housing & just bolted the mounting bracket that comes with it to a similar test rig. It had lots of grunt despite the fact it was submerged as is, in fresh water. I had a little bit of rust on the magnets afterward & I think some crc would have helped.   If you want to get technical on the test, here is a good paper.http://www.tahoebenchmark.com/pdfs/2009/DPVBollardPullv2.pdf
   Some of my calculations on propeller size & motor hp were based on results from online propeller calculators.https://www.vicprop.com/calculator.htmbut the inputs referred to boats not subs so not totally accurate.  I was looking at variable pitch propellers yesterday & wondered if there would be any benefit considering thesmall speed range we operate at.  I was googling to try & find out the bollard thrust results for the 101, because I am not beleiving what they say.I have a theory that the Minn kotas are over sized to deal with the heat that builds up inside the can. I wouldbe interested in your results.Am pretty convinced that brushless & oil compensated is the way to go. If you grind metal hard out & it heats upyou can cool it instantaneously with water but if you leave it in air it takes a long time to cool. There is always an airgap in a motor between the magnets & rotor, but large gaps at the ends of the coils (front & back of motor) so oilcompensating would be a lot easier on the motor. Brushes can have problems lifting in oil, so the brushlessoil compensated motor seems the way to go.Cheers Alan