[PSUBS-MAILIST] Hatch interlock

Thu Mar 3 08:36:14 EST 2016

On March 2, 2016 11:22:11 PM MST, Stephen Fordyce via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:
>Hi Sean,
>I really like the idea of vacuum monitoring for hatch leaking - nice
>one.
>Also Alan a good idea for a single central transmitter monitoring the
>whole
>thing.

This defeats the purpose of the system, other than to provide a global "go or no go" interlock signal.

>A couple of thoughts from me:
>- as well as the vacuum breaker valves on the actual hatches, you'd
>need
>individual manual isolation valves in the 1atm chamber so you determine
>which was leaking, and in case one leaks.

My idea was to use one solenoid valve per channel to connect or isolate each hatch from the vacuum pump, and one transducer per channel, so that information is immediately available.

>- You could protect the transducer from over pressure with a relief
>valve
>in the 1atm chamber (installed on the 1atm side of isolation valves)

Any such relief valve would continue to vent into the 1 ata space until it wasn't 1 ata anymore. Pressure leaking past an o-ring will continue to do so until the differential is equalized. I really think full-range transducers are the way to go here. Convolution has a particular penalty in vacuum systems that you don't encounter in positive pressure gas systems, in that you can't easily diagnose and localize  leaks by snooping for them, since they leak to the inside. The other advantage of the full-range transducer is that it enables you to automatically determine which of the two seals has failed, since the vacuum space will (eventually) rise to the pressure of the failed side.  Such an event is only a remote possibility though. Keep in mind that an o-ring which seals initially is highly unlikely to subsequently develop a leak in service. What you're really trying to catch with this system is when you get a pinched or damaged o-ring, or a hair or other debris under the seal, where
a pinhole leak path exists that isn't immediately obvious, but won't permit the vacuum to hold.

>- I'm not sure how likely it really is, but if you got salt water into
>the
>vacuum space the water would quickly evaporate, leading the salt
>residue to
>accumulate over time

This is true. The vacuum pump itself has a water trap, but the piping would need to be flushed as a matter of routine maintenance, and the hatch flanges wiped clean if salt buildup became an issue.

>- oil lubricated vacuum pumps, or at least the ones I've used, at only
>moderate vacuum can create smoke/oil vapour which would be
>uncomfortable in
>a sub. Using a diaphragm pump or similar you'd probably achieve a much
>poorer vacuum but no atmospheric contaminants

CO2 isn't the only thing you can scrub out of the air. In addition to a caustic scrubber, permanganate or activated carbon filters can remove hydrocarbons and other contaminants, and I will be including such a scrubber stage in the air processing. That said, it is definitely still wise to eliminate any known sources of contamination, so further research into vacuum pumps looks to be in order.

>- a vacuum switch would probably be cheaper and more likely to survive
>the
>over pressure, at the cost of less detailed info, ie. This one is good
>200m
>http://www.suco-tech.com/product.php?p=44&c=12

Also true. The fundamental difference being that the vacuum switch is just an on-off indicator, while a pressure transducer can provide the leak rate. Maybe that isn't necessary. I'll have to think about this further.

>- actually on reflection, I sell digital gauges for SCUBA gas mixing
>(shameless plug:
>http://m.ebay.com/itm/Electronic-Digital-Pressure-Gauge-for-SCUBA-Blending-Nitrox-Trimix-Oxygen-/262307605334?nav=SEARCH
>) and they are -1 to 400bar(g) in 0.1 bar increments, which would be ok
>for
>both the vacuum and over pressure, so it can't be too hard, and
>requires an
>ADC resolution of only 12 bits - if 10 levels of vacuum measurement
>would
>be ok?
>- I have some very reasonably priced transducer samples coming from the
>same supplier - if they work out ok I could send you one or at least
>the
>specs.

I don't require a local display, as I'm custom-building the HMI. Separating the transducer from its signal conditioning also allows me to vary the resolution (and expense) of the ADC according to the application. I also will only employ transducers with NIST-traceable calibrations, that can be readily recalibrated annually, for example.

>- For a quick and easy way of turning high res analogue signals into
>useful
>digital data I can highly recommend this Arduino shield:
>http://rascalmicro.com/docs-precision-voltage-shield/
>Brandon has made a couple of 18-bit versions for me, which are good
>enough
>for 0.1% readings from oxygen cells and the like. I've been meaning to
>order some more.

Nothing about this project is taking the quick and easy path.  All of my DAQ / signal conditioning requirements will be implemented with NI C-series modules on the cRIO - also calibratable and NIST-traceable.

>Well that turned into a bit of a ramble, hopefully some is useful.
>
>Cheers,
>Steve

Thanks for your thoughts. They prompted me to think about a few things.

Sean